Friday, June 20, 2014

Not another dust cover!

Apparently we may need to change our name from Swink Girls Quilts to Dust Covers, Inc. since that's all we seem to be making lately! It all started when Margaret made one for her retro Kenmore machine. Then Kimberly made one for Beth for the scrap exchange, and another for her Singer Featherweight. I finally joined the in-crowd when I finished hand sewing the binding on this dust cover for my Bernina B330.




I have to say I am extremely pleased with how this project turned out. I did not work from a pattern or tutorial at all (although I may write my own), but the construction was very simple. (It's a rectangle, folks.)





I really like my fabric choices also. I like how the solids compliment the Michael Miller Petal Pinwheels prints and how the sweet teal polka dot binding pulls in to the colors of the prints as well as matches the ribbon ties. 



On the flip side (literally), this beautiful Denyse Schmidt plaid has been lounging around in my stash for so long and I'm glad I finally had the perfect use for it! Again, I love how the binding pulls that little hint of teal out of the print. And speaking of binding, look at these corners! If you told me a year ago that I would be hand sewing so well and turning out such nice bindings, I would have laughed at you!




In fact, the way I constructed this dust cover (basically as a rectangle), it is completely reversible.  I think I like both sides so well that I really will be reversing it.





Last but not least, I absolutely love the quilting on this. Love love love. I just can't get enough of it. I was very tempted to do some FMQ on this but I'm so glad I went with straight lines. I started with just a single line, first the diagonals and then the straights, and when they were done I hated it, no lie. Yes, it was quilted. Yes, they were diamonds. But I seriously hated it. It was boring and the quilting was kind of too spaced out. I contemplated FMQing in (some of?) the diamonds but by a lucky chance, I though "Why not double the lines up? That might look cool". So I echoed one line and I knew instantly that this was going to make the quilting way better. And when I was done quilting it the second time, I was almost drooling. I seriously love the quilting so much. I used a pretty white/yellow/orange variegated aurifil 50wt.


And super last but not least, how cute is this SGQ label?! Squee!!






Francesca

Edit: When I stopped by Kimberly's studio yesterday I saw this little cutie on her Bernina B350PE!

10 comments:

  1. It's lovely and I need to make one for my machine. I would probably never remember to put it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seem to be having the same problem, though! It hasnt' been on my machine yet except for the pictures!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous cover, Francesca. I do love the fabrics you chose. And the quilting is divine! How nice to have those labels. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorna - and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love your cover! They are so much fun to make aren't they? I made all new covers for my machines a couple of years ago, and enjoyed doing it so much I can't wait to redecorate and do it again! Here are some pic's of mine:
    http://tinksquared.com/galleries-2/sewing-machine-covers-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ! Your covers are stinkin' adorable, thanks for sharing! I love the ruffles and ric-rac! I have no eye for embellishments, ha ha!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing all the different things people are doing with the challenge fabrics. I'm still staring at mine. I should do something with them. Thanks for sharing your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becca (: -I knew I wouldn't win so I made something I liked (and needed) so I feel like I did win, in a way.

      Delete
  5. I love what you did with the Michael Miller prints. I seriously love those fabrics, they just make me happy :)
    Our guild is doing the challenge too and I decided I needed a sewing machine cover. The one I'm using is just a folded piece of home dec fabric, not very tidy looking. I had the same great idea as you- make a sewing machine cover with the challenge fabric!!
    I love how yours turned out and I like your quilting too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. Like I said, I am really happy with the quilting. I'm also really glad it's reversible, except now I won't have an excuse to make another one so soon!

      Delete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! If you have a question we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible! We prefer to respond via email, but if you are a "no-reply" blogger, you won't get one! You can, however, email us directly at swinkgirlsquilts @ gmail . com OR frakocyba @ yahoo . com.

Thanks for stopping by!