Thursday, October 31, 2013
Here are two more flying geese blocks for the do. Good bee. August was my month to be the quilter, (in charge of the design, quilting and finishing) and the quilt is a little late since a few people in the bee did not complete the blocks (I know - right? Grrrr...). Francesca kindly stepped up to make two and these are the additional two I made. Francesca will have hers done in a day or so and I can move on to sewing the quilt top together and moving it to a finish. Yay!
In the meantime I have been working on sewing down the binding on Mixed Berries and I am about 3/4 of the way done. I know the recipient will be happy to finally receive her graduation present!
Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Here are my blocks for October. Of course I did not remember until they were finished that the example blocks were scrappy with different fabrics throughout. But at least they match the color scheme requested and they are finished! Mailing them off today and looking forward to November.
I also finished up the quilting on Mixed Berries, the scrappy trip around the world quilt. I will be working on getting the binding sewn down over the next few days and another WIP can be crossed off the list.
Monday, October 28, 2013
Sunday, October 27, 2013
_ _ _ _ _keep stitchin'_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
First up, the POD:
I made a dresden flower a few weeks ago and it has been stuck on my design wall ever since. I decided I would make a throw pillow. I dragged out the Essex linen I have been saving (no, hoarding) for months. It looks terrific with the warm colors of the dresden blades. Instead of a tradional applique, I fastened down the dresden with some outline stiching following the seams in each blade. The center circle has an extra layer of batting to add volume. I machine stitched a blanket stitch to attach the circle. I am not completely happy with that part since it was hard to make sure the needle caught the edge of the circle for each stitch. I had to go back and re-do one spot. I did a little FMQ with my Bernina using Aurifil thread 50 wt and added the feather flower in the middle and some stipple quilting outside the dresden on the linen. I did not get a picture of the back but there is a covered zip closure. Finished product is approximately 20" square.
Thursday, October 10, 2013
There has been a lack of blogging (and sewing much to my dismay) as we soldier on with the studio construction. It seems to be taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Actually I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and every task completed is one step closer to done. My dear hubs built these shelves for me last week and I think they look fabulous! He is so very talented. The south wall is almost done with the exception of a few small things. We finished the second layer of insulation on the east wall and now it is ready for drywall then the bead board.
In the meantime I have having some serious sewing withdrawal. I do have some bee blocks to work on for do. Good so maybe this weekend I will sneak in some time at the Bernina.
We are getting close to the big raffle for the quilt I made and donated to the Foreign Exchange Club my daughter belongs to. The drawing will be at half-time during the homecoming football game. I will be sorry to see it go and hope it finds a good home!
Friday, October 4, 2013
I just whipped up another super sweet taggie for a new gramma! The squares on this one are just shy of 5". Again, a nice combo of quilting cotton and flannel with coordinating ribbons. I kept the "tags" a little shorter on this one and I like how they seem to stick up more rather than flop down. I love the colors and I sure hope baby Landen does too!