First up, the POD:
As you can see, I made 2, count it, 2, new blocks this month! The #12 block is the one with the books with the star and lightning bolt on the spines. #13 is the 'monster book of monsters' (copyright JK Rowling, I'm sure). Those teeth were even harder that Hedwig's feathers! SOOOOO many angle pieces! There are a few things in life I just DON'T get, angles are one of them. Decimals are occasionally another, although I am fine with fractions. I messed up some of the colors on the monster book, but I was way too tired when I finished it up last night to un-sew. I'm an imperfect creature, so I'm ok with imperfect quilts, especially since there is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I will ever give this quilt away! Anyway, really pleased with the progress on this project. I haven't even peeked at the next block yet, I'm sure it rocks though, and I promise to show you my completed version next WIPW.
Next up is the 5" square diamond quilt. I'm still thinking of names. Maybe 'diamonds are a girl's best friend'? It is going to be a pretty girly quilt. Pink, white, yellow and green. BTW, Kimberly and I are big on naming our quilts. Do you guys name your quilts? Leave a comment below and let us know! Here's the pic btw:
So I currently have 20 blocks made for this quilt, as promised. I also cut ALL the fabric. There is one more fabric not shown in the pic above. Noteworthy by Sweetwater in a very pretty green. I am loving the fabrics I chose for this quilt. It is going to be so sweet. I want to take a minute to mention that I used Kimberly's AccuQuilt to cut ALL these 5" squares....and....it was AWESOME! I cut about 5-5.5 yards of fabric into 5" squares in about 1:30 start to finish, ironing and all, and they are just as accurate if not more so, than anything I can rotary cut. The AccuQuilt IS an expensive system, especially since each different die costs extra, but if you can splurge on one, and you do a lot of cutting, it's worth looking in to. My dad and I split the cost last year on Mother's Day to buy Kimberly's and I know she loves it, and now I know why! Anyway, goal for next WIPW is 10 more blocks, for a total of 30/110 completed.
Last WIP to mention is one I am just starting. I have the fabric cut (as 90% came from 2 charm packs) and I have a tentative layout. I'm not going to mention it yet, but it's very cool and modernish. Here's a sneak peek at the fabric:
Sorry for the blurry picture, I just snapped it quick just now and I'm getting tired! You might not be able to tell, but the majority of the fabric is from Moda 'Cuzco' by Kate Spain, which I have been in love with since it came out. I bought a charm pack and used a few squares on small projects, but when I saw the pattern I am going to make, I knew I wanted to use this line, so I bought another charm pack. I don't really buy pre-cuts very often. I do so more for the variety than the convenience of having the fabric cut into a particular size. In this case, I really loved the whole line and all the colors, so I wanted a little bit of everything. I am really excited about this quilt. I don't know if I can swing having the entire top pieced by next WIPW, but I will try to have at least 4 rows out of 13 sewn and pressed.
That's all for now, folks. I hope you enjoyed my WIPW update; the next will be 11/20/2013, hope to see you then! And I would love to see your WIP(s) so leave a comment with a link!