Thursday, February 20, 2014

A new oldie

I am so excited to share the news about my new(old) Singer Featherweight 221!  I have been coveting one of these babies for a long time and finally I have a  Featherweight I can call my own.  I first saw one of these machines at a quilt show in PA a while back.  A woman running one of the vendor booths was sewing away.  I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen!  She gave some advice on how to find one and I walked away determined to have one.  Around Christmas time, I found one advertised on Craig's list.  I thought for sure it would be 'the one' and I would have a terrific little Christmas present to me.  Alas, it was not to to be.  After driving an hour to meet the seller, he/she was a no-show and the listing was deleted ( I am sure it was sold to someone else).  I was very disappointed.   I cruised around e-bay a bit but I am hesitant to buy something of this nature sight unseen.  The Featherweight idea went on the back burner.

More recently I have been interested in adding one more machine to my flock and decided to take a look at the Juki TL2010Q.  (More about that in another post.)  Unbeknownst to me, the dealer for the Juki also is  a collector of Featherweights!  (I know what you are thinking - Karma - right?)  Long story short, she agreed to sell me one of her babies!  I could not be more pleased!  The machine is in very nice condition as is the case.  She included many of the original accessories ( I think only the screwdriver is missing)  and an original owner's manual.  I  may have paid a little bit more than if I found it at a garage sale but I have the piece of mind to know it has been restored to excellent working order and if I have any problems or need service, I now have a connection!

So here it is....1948 Singer 221 Featherweight!

2 comments:

  1. It looks just like mine that was my grandmother's! And I recognize that quilt on the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte! Thanks for stopping by...were you lucky enough to be able to keep your Grandma's featherweight? I love mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! If you have a question we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible! We prefer to respond via email, but if you are a "no-reply" blogger, you won't get one! You can, however, email us directly at swinkgirlsquilts @ gmail . com OR frakocyba @ yahoo . com.

Thanks for stopping by!