As a member of the Rochester Modern Quilt Guild I was fortunate enough to receive a small pacage of Michael Miller fabrics and to be able to participate in the challenge. The rules were simple; use only the fabric provided alone or along with any solid, or any other Michael Miller fabric, and the item must be quilted.
This left things pretty wide open and there are some AMAZING completed projects showing up on the MQG site, Instagram and Facebook.
After suffering from a bout of zero inspiration ever since I brought the fabric home, I finally had an idea! I was standing in line at the PO to mail my mini quilt swap box and I noticed a rack of greeting cards. One was designed with just punctuation marks and I thought how cool it would be to re-create that as a quilt. And then I said, "aha!" Why not do that with the Michael Miller fabrics?
I printed out some punctuation and then traced them onto lightweight fusible web. Then I chose a black background and randomly fused the pieces in place. I have been wanting to try matchstick quilting and that solved the problem of how to stitch, or even whether to stitch the applique in place.
For the quilting I used different weight threads in coordinating colors. Some is Aurifil, some is poly quilting thread and some is Mettler embroidery thread. The quilting was extremely time consuming (it took several hours using a high speed machine and this is a small piece) but I love the effect!
I applied a faced binding which I also love and some small brass rings for hanging. The finished mini is about 14" x 20".