Sunday, December 8, 2013

A review, a finish and an atta girl!

It seems like so long since I last posted but it's really only been a week.  Fair warning, I'm pretty talkative tonight and Shain is asleep, so this post might be pretty wordy.

First, a few days ago, I got my first order from a store on Esty called Zipit Zippers.  I'm not going to claim to be a serious critic, but let's just say, that unless I am in a REAL pinch, I may never buy zippers anywhere else.  The packaging, attention to detail, hand written and ink stamped thank you's, bonus items.  What a treat.  Not to mention the color, quality and selection of zippers is completely dreamy.  I will definitely be ordering from you again!


Second, I finished the binding on the Pixelated Heart Quilt yesterday and today it got a wash, dry and photo shoot on the neighbor's fence.  This is a snuggle blanket, about 64"x69".  I am disappointed that my whites don't match but other than that my seams meet up nicely and my binding has nice corners.  Plus I love the colors and fabric.  Most of the fabric is Cuzco by Kate Spain for Moda, including the pink geo print for the binding; hard to see in the picture.  I chose a bright orange flannel for the back and quilted large flowers loosely with light pink aurefil on the Innova.  I snuggled under this blanket a lot while I was sewing the binding on...it love it! And that's a WIP and UFO crossed of the list!



As far as the atta girl goes, I am very pleased with some quilting that I got done on my Bernina today.  Some FMQ and some straight line.  I always stuggle when I use this metallic thread, but it is soooo worth it.  I was shocked at how well I executed the idea in my head of what I wanted the quilting on the petals to look like.  Usually my quilting doesn't look a ton like what I imagine so this was a nice surprise.  This is going to be a Christmas gift for a friend of mine.




I think that's going to be all for tonight.  I did work on one other project today but it's TOP SECRET.  Kimberly and I will be attending the meeting of the RMQG on Wednesday night.  I will post sometime afterwards with our new mug rugs we will be bringing home!

Francesca

Edit: Linking with Freshly Pieced



7 comments:

  1. I'm kind of in love with your pixelated heart quilt! I'm so used to seeing them in pale color palettes, and I love the punch, especially with the backing. Yay! So pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! It is a Christmas present for a very good friend. I hope she likes it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pixelated heart. The nonmatching whites probably just add some texture/contrast. Nice FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely pixel heart! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! If you have a question we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible! We prefer to respond via email, but if you are a "no-reply" blogger, you won't get one! You can, however, email us directly at swinkgirlsquilts @ gmail . com OR frakocyba @ yahoo . com.

Thanks for stopping by!