Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Plans for 2014

Hey all-

First off...Happy New Year! I hope you had a great time ringing in 2014!

Second, you might have noticed I recently added a few new buttons to the bottom of the side bar on the right side of the page under a nifty little category labeled 'Francesca's 2014 QALs/BOMs/Bees'.  This is simply a neat little spot to keep track of some of the online quilting community events I will be participating in this year. I'd like to take a few minutes to introduce them to you, as I will be posting about them throughout the year.  

There are 3 buttons in this category currently.  You can click on them to take you directly to the website hosting the event, I am not going to link to them in the descriptions to follow so feel free to click to the appropriate page if you want more info.

As You Wish - You might recognize this line from the beloved film "The Princess Bride".  This quilt along is hosted by Fandom In Stitches, a wonderful site with patterns inspired by Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Dr Who, and many other popular books/TV/movies.  I have been a fan of this site for many years as the owner of the site, Jennifer, is the creator of the PoD, which I have been plugging away at for a while.  There are events going on at FiS fairly regularly, but this is the first one I will be participating in while it's actually going on.  I'm excited to see what the designers come up with for one of my favorite movies! This event will run from January to May.

Classic Meets Modern - This block of the month event is being hosted by Erin at sewathomemummy, a relatively new-to-me blog.  Erin hosted a bee called Simply Solids (you can check it out on flickr) and was inspired by the amazing results of that bee to host this BOM.  While solids aren't mandatory, I plan on using solids for my version. This event will run from January to December.

Sunday Morning Quilts Bee - The third button is one that I made! My first button! I used a new program called Sumo Paint (I have no photo shop-y experience so I was like "whaaa do all these buttons do?!)  If you click the button (squee! I made it work!) a new window will take you to the bee's group page on flickr.  Kimberly and I are both members of this virtual bee.  This is Kimberly's 3rd round in this bee and my first.  I'm really looking forward to getting scrappy! My month is March (funny enough- so is Kimberly's), which is actually pretty perfect.  I am planning on using the blocks I receive to make a blue quilt for Shain, since he request a new quilt. I listed this as my June project for the RMQG UFO challenge, hopefully I will be done in time.  This event will run from Janurary to September.

That's all for now, and probably plenty to keep my busy in 2014- along with my current WIPs.  I may have one more BOM, but I'm not quite sure about it yet. 

I hope you're having fun planning out your projects for 2014!


Francesca


Edit 1/19/14: I think I am going to postpone working on the Fandom In Stitches event, As You Wish, until I'm done with my quilt for the Friends of Letchworth State Park. There is a very definitive due date for the FLSPQ so it's really my top priority right now.  If I need a break from it and feel like paper piecing I can always work on the PoD, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! If you have a question we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible! We prefer to respond via email, but if you are a "no-reply" blogger, you won't get one! You can, however, email us directly at swinkgirlsquilts @ gmail . com OR frakocyba @ yahoo . com.

Thanks for stopping by!