I had a really relaxing Saturday. I worked on some small sewing projects and a few sewing/fabric related projects today. Shain actually helped me on some of the projects and it was fun to do a craft together (plus I needed him to run the stapler as we didn't feel like going to Kimberly's studio to use the pneumatic one). Anyways, in between naps Shain helped my make this DIY ribbon board:
It measures 48"x18"
Up close. The print is Honey, Honey by Kate Spain (LOVE).
And here is is in my sewing room, already nicely cluttered up. I've been hoarding this fabric for a while and I'm actually glad that I cut in to it today. Instead of laying inside a plastic tub it's now out and on display where I can see it every time I sit down at my machine.
By the way, I thought I was SO clever by using that bright, sunny yellow ribbon with the beautiful teal colored fabric. So original and clever, right? Then I saw this was right in front of my nose the whole time:
Twinners. I wish my subconscious would stop controlling my every creative decision!
We also made a new design board for the sewing room, although the only wall space I had left was currently displaying my PoD-IP (Project of Doom in Progress?). So I went from this:
The design board it 32" square. I am glad to have a better place to arrange blocks and such.
While Shain napped I did get a chance to do some sewing. I finished this quilted zipper bag, finally. I dyed the fabric myself last year. No pattern used.
I also made good progress on my February UFO project for the RMQG. I quilted the front patchwork piece for my Valentine's throw pillow. I did FMQ hearts with light pink aurifil thread on my Bernina. The hearts definitely aren't perfect, but it was my first time doing them, and it's a learning experience. I also made the back of the pillow with a covered zipper closure and attached the binding. The back of the pillow is the same small red with white polka dots as the binding. I just have to hand sew the binding down and this project will be done on time and under budget!
Sized to fit and 18" pillow form, but I think you could squeeze a 20" pillow in here if you had one. BTW, no pattern used for this baby either (:
Last but not least, I am really excited to announce that a quilt design idea I submitted recently has been selected to be commissioned! This spring I will be making a quilt for the Friends of Letchworth State Park to raffle off for a fundraiser. You can read a little more about the contest here. I am truly honored to have been chosen for this project. I am nervous, but also excited! I will keep you posted on this new project (you know I'll be shortening it to FLSPQ - Friends of Letchworth State Park Quilt)!
Hope you're having a stitchin' good weekend!